1. Tell us a bit about yourself: I am a self-taught jewelry designer with a home studio in Kirkland, WA. Until 2 yrs ago my jewelry business time was shared with my full-time corporate job which didn't exactly allow for much growth. Lucky for me I met the man of my dreams, and then everything just seemed to fall into place. We had a beautiful baby boy that we didn't want to put into daycare right away so now I am a full-time Mom/Domestic Goddess/Owner of Purely Paige Handmade Jewelry.
I specialize in hand-forged sterling silver/fine silver and 14 karat gold fill combined with high quality gemstones and vintage findings. I absolutely love adding special personalization aspects to my pieces, like custom inscriptions & birthstones etc. There is something so incredibly spectacular about being the one to create that perfect gift, that piece that someone has been searching for everywhere, or being a small part of someone’s wedding or prom. I don’t think I will stop designing jewelry until my hands stop working!
2. What is your favorite color combination? I think that most everything looks better with pink. Pink & Black (of course) Pink & Navy, Pink & Green, Pink & Brown.
Here is a wire-wrapped crystal necklace I am currently working on:
3. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? As a little girl I was always drawing cats, (my first favorite animal) in princess dresses, dripping in jewels of course! Then one day my dad gave me a whole box of laminate paper. I used it to make paper cat dolls! I laminated the cats and then made different clothing and jewelry for them to wear! That was really an amazing gift, I had months of fun with that laminate paper!
4. What inspires you? Everything that makes me happy...and...deadlines haha! Some of my favorite pieces have come from late nights working under pressure!
5. What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity? I love trying to figure how to do things myself. I am that annoying lady that adores something expensive in a shop and look like I am going to buy it because I am looking at every angle trying to figure out how to make it.
Hand Forged Sterling Silver Guitar Pick
7. Do you have any tips on selling handmade? I got some of the most fabulous jewelry business advice awhile ago from a good friend of mine that really doesn't have ANY experience in the business what-so-ever! She said, "Well you have got to try everything at least once. You never know what might come of something, if you don't try." Such a simple piece of advice.
Now, if events are free or reasonably priced to participate, I am there. I have done jewelry shows at hair salons, restaurants / lounges, places of employment, bridal showers, and theatres, etc.
I also do things like donating to swag bags and auctions, putting jewelry coupons in stores where my friends work, joining social networking websites I come across, etc.
Collar Stays with Inscriptions
8. Apart from creating things, what do you do? I absolutely love to garden and I can't wait to plant a vegetable garden with my little boy at our new home in April. I also really love to cook. And, I love searching through antique shops for beautiful things to give new life to and incorporate into my jewelry or decorate our home with.
9. What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists? There is always going to be someone better than you. If there wasn't, then you wouldn't have anything to strive towards.
6. Do you have a blog? http://blog.purelypaige.com/
Thanks Paige for answering all of my questions and I wish you much success with your Etsy shop and family.